Thursday, February 1, 2007

Needs met

This morning I read Psalm 37:1-6 for my devotions. This is a relatively familiar passage, but the Holy Spirit showed me a new application today: The fact that the Lord gives us the desires of our heart-- that through Him we desire what He wants us to desire-- is a way He meets our needs.
I realized that in my nature I am a literal, factual, & materialistic guy. I never thought I was a materialistic guy because I always saw having a lot of things in a negative light, but even seeing materialism negatively is still being materialistic; in the same way that feeling sorry for yourself is still pride (self-centeredness). God wants me to focus on the spiritual/ eternal, not the material/ earthly.
With this natural mindset, I guess I always limited "needs" to referring to stuff we have to have to live. Today I realized that just as much I need to have peace & a good attitude; thoughts & feelings are just as important as food & air! I appreciate that my wife has always understood this, but this is a new concept for me.

No comments: