Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Slaves

I don't know how many readers I have (I guess there's a way to check, but I never bother), & of those readers I don't know how many of you watch Heroes, but last night's episode (which I recorded & watched this morning because I take classes at night) said a lot about the sin nature. I don't know if it was on purpose or not, but it was clear to me. In the possible future they discover a formula that gives people super powers (Lex Luthor did the same thing in DC Comics), & some idealists think it's a great idea. It turns out, though, that people are selfish & arrogant, & once they have super powers they use them for evil.
I noticed a similar pattern on Smallville. Clark Kent has powers & uses them for good, but whenever humans were exposed to kryptonite & given powers they were bad guys. They have said on the show that the kryptonite makes them evil, but the way I saw it was that humans have Adam's sin nature & Clark as a Kryptonian didn't. It turns out that Kryptonians are just as sinful as humans, but it was a thought...
Okay, back to Heroes. Nathan said that people are created in the image of God & are good, so they will use superpowers for the good of the world. It's true that humans were created in the image of God, but when Adam sinned that image was tainted, & all humans have inherited Adam's sin nature from birth. Christ died & rose again to not only save us from sin, but also to free us from being slaves to sin. Apart from Christ, all people are slaves to sin. Sinful people still do good things sometimes, but just as Sylar couldn't control his lust for other people's super powers, without Christ we couldn't control our sin. I doubt they'll say anything about that on Heroes, but we do see the pattern that people who are given super powers use them for evil.

No comments: